Above: NAIOP NJ President Gus Milano and Rep. Mikie Sherrill (center) with members Zach Lamotta and Rick Lechtman (left) and NAIOP staff Barbara Morford and Mike McGuinness at the Capitol.
Dear NAIOP Members and Prospective Members:
Every dollar you invest with NAIOP NJ supports the promotion and protection of the commercial real estate industry. NAIOP is your voice in Trenton and on Capitol Hill. In recent months, NAIOP achieved the following on your behalf:
- Halted legislation targeting the warehouse and distribution sector (mandates for labor harmony agreements and a multi-level approval process).
- The Economic Recovery Act of 2020, and the 2021 "clean up" bill.
- Legislation that prohibits the appeal of land use decisions for reasons related to holding meetings virtually.
- The Permit Extension Act of 2020.
- Stopped legislation that would have permitted rent suspensions for small business tenants during the state of emergency.
- Ensured most construction work could continue during the pandemic shutdown.
- Improved & updated Site Remediation Reform Act (SRRA), under which more than 14,000 contaminated properties have been cleaned up and returned to productive use.
- Halted progress of "Independent Contractors" legislation that would have decimated operations at the Port, which rely on the fexibility and availability of independent trucker owner-operators.
- Amended Local Redevelopment & Housing Law to expand eligibility to vacant properties & stranded assets.
- Helped to enact & implement NJ Transit Office of Real Estate Economic & Transit Related Development.
- Defeated doubling of 1% Realty Transfer Tax & expansion of Millionaires Tax in budget battles.
- Championed law to expand ERG funding to the bond market and amend the Long-Term Tax Exemption Law to permit PILOTs to remain in effect for a longer time.
- Protected industrial interests with exemptions for many properties under the Public Access Law.
- Legislation to allow for third-party construction inspections. This would essentially use the LSRP model for private consultants to provide project inspection services.
- Ensuring that climate change and Energy Master Plan regulations are based on science and are economically and technologically feasible.
- Opposing unreasonable mandates targeting the warehouse & distribution sector.
In addition, NAIOP hosts I.CON East, the Commercial Real Estate Awards Gala, Golf Classic and educational programs giving you insights on public policies & trends that impact your business, continuing education credits, and access to experts and colleagues.
Our staff and volunteers work together every day on behalf of every member. If you are not yet a member, what are you waiting for? Call Donna Laterza today at 732-729-9900 and join us! Sincerely,
Constantino T. "Gus" Milano, Hartz Mountain Industries