Dear NAIOP Members and Prospective Members:
Every dollar you invest with NAIOP NJ supports the promotion and protection of the commercial real estate industry. In recent months, NAIOP achieved the following on your behalf:
- The Permit Extension Act of 2020.
- Stopped legislation that would have permitted rent suspensions for small business tenants during the state of emergency.
- Ensured most construction work could continue during the pandemic shutdown.
- Improved & updated Site Remediation Reform Act (SRRA), under which more than 14,000 contaminated properties have been cleaned up and returned to productive use.
- Halted progress of "Independent Contractors" legislation that would have decimated operations at the Port, which rely on the fexibility and availability of independent trucker owner-operators.
- Amended Local Redevelopment & Housing Law to expand eligibility to vacant properties & stranded assets.
- Helped to enact & implement NJ Transit Office of Real Estate Economic & Transit Related Development.
- Defeated doubling of 1% Realty Transfer Tax & expansion of Millionaires Tax in budget battles.
- Championed law to expand ERG funding to the bond market and amend the Long-Term Tax Exemption Law to permit PILOTs to remain in effect for a longer time.
- Protected industrial interests with exemptions for many properties under the Public Access Law.
- A third re-write of the business incentive and ERG programs that further simplifies and streamlines the programs to attract new employers and provide for gap financing for residential and commercial projects.
- Draft legislation to allow for third-party construction inspections. This would essentially use the LSRP model for private consultants to provide project inspection services.
- Draft legislation to prohibit the appeal of a municipal land use decision on the basis of a deviation from some requirement of law because a meeting was held virtually during a declared emergency.
- Draft legislation to establish a three-year matching grant program for nonresidential buildings to make capital improvement upgrades to ventilation and other improvements to enhance tenant and worker safety.
In addition, NAIOP hosted dozens of events and tours, including the sold out I.CON East, CRE Awards Gala, Golf Classic and President’s Awards & Hall of Fame Dinner, giving you access to new connections, industry experts, insights on public policies & trends that impact your business, and continuing education credits. Our Community Action Projects supported the Community Food Bank of NJ and Habitat for Humanity, and 1Million Meals for NJ has raised $333,000.
Our staff and volunteers work together every day on behalf of every member. If you are not yet a member, what are you waiting for? Call Donna Laterza today at 732-729-9900 and join us as we make history in 2020, celebrating 50 years of NAIOP NJ! Sincerely,
Gene Preston, Dermody Properties